Tuesday 27 October 2015

310. Rama woke up and grieves for his bro.

           In the battle field Sugreeva and other leaders like Angada, Hanuman, Jambavan etc. were standing around the inert bodies of Rama and his bro, watching them with deep concern and grief. Suddenly they noticed a very slight movement from the body of Rama. The mighty Rama by virtue of his hardihood and native strength recouped his senses. A few moments later he opened both his lovely eyes. Despite the myriad of arrows all over his body, he turned his body to look for his dear brother.
         He, Rama was shocked to see the bleeding unconscious, firmly thrown on the floor with his features changed brother. With intolerable grief Rama lamented "Of what use to me is the recovery of Seetha at the cost of my dear Lakshmana? May be it is possible to find some woman equal to Seetha in this world of mortals but it is impossible to find a brother like Lakshmana in ALL the worlds.
        "I, most willingly am prepared to give up my life if that is the condition for Lakshmana's return to the five elements. What shall I say to my mother, Kausalya or to Kaikeyi? How can I talk to my mother Sumitra looking eagerly for her dear son? How shall I console Sumitra, trembling and crying out like an osprey, bereft of her son, if I return to Ayodhya without Lakshmana?
          "What can I tell Shatrughna and the illustrious Bharata when I return without Lakshmana, who followed me to the forest? Alas! I will not be able to endure Sumitra's reproaches. I will leave my body here itself. I do not wish to continue living. Woe unto me to my wicked deed and to my lack of nobility. Through my fault, Lakshmana has fallen and lies on this bed of arrows. O, Lakshmana! You always used to console me whenever I was in a great sorrow. You, having lost your life now, are not able to allay my sufferings with your words.
      "You, who in today's battle, struck down innumerable rakshashas, are now fallen, pierced by darts. Lying on this bed of arrows, bathed in blood, you are piled up in a heap of arrows. You look like the sun setting behind the horizon. Your vital parts having been pierced with arrows, you are not able to speak now. Even though you are not speaking, your agony is disclosed by the redness of your eyes.
       "I do not remember to have heard any harsh or hateful words from you, even if you are deeply provoked. Lakshmana, you are able to loose five hundred arrows in one shot, surpassing Kartavirya himself in the science of archery. O Lakshmana, you were accustomed to a rich couch and  by your arrows you were capable of severing the weapons of the mighty Indra, the Lord of devas, is lying slain on the ground.
     "Those vain words uttered by me, will undoubtedly consume me since I have not made Vibhishana the king of rakshashas. O, Sugreeva! You ought to return at once from here since knowing that you are bereft of my support, Ravana will overcome you.
        "O, Sugreeva! Recross the sea with your army and with your followers, keeping Angada in front. I am fully satisfied by the great military exploit done by Jambavan, the king of Bears and the General of the vanaras, which was impossible for any other in battle. A great act was done by Angada, Mainda and Dvivida. A terrible combat was done by Kesari and Sampati in the battle-field. By Gavaya, Gavaksha, Sharabha, Gaja and other vanaras, who are willing to sacrifice their lives for me, the battle was carried on.
         "O, Sugreeva! It is not possible for mortals to avoid their destiny. O, Sugreeva! Fearing to fail in your duty, you have done all that which a friend and a comrade could do. O, foremost of vanaras! You have accomplished all this due to our friendship. I take leave of you all; go where it seems best to you!"
       All the tawny eyed vanaras, who heard Rama's lament thus, started to weep with tears flowing from their eyes. At this point of time, Vibhishana, having established some order in all the ranks, was approaching Rama with mace in his hand. Seeing him, who resembled a mass of collyrium, rushing towards them, all the vanaras of the lower rank, took him to be Indrajit, the son of Ravana, fled away in terror.
======================================================

No comments:

Post a Comment