Thursday 4 June 2015

273. Ravana sought suggestions.

        Then Ravana, seeing that all the important persons were present, told  majestically in a royal voice Prahasta, the chief of his army "O, commander! you, hereby are allowed to issue any order to ensure that well-trained warriors belonging to the four divisions of the army (viz,. cavalry, infantry, chariots and elephants) are on top alert for the defense of the city." Prahasta replied "Your Majesty! Our army, as strong as ever, has already been positioned both outside and inside the city. There is no need for you to have any inhibition about them."
          Hearing that Ravana nodded and said "All my works undertaken by you with an act of attention were never in vain. I will obtain maximum prosperity, while abiding with you, as Indra obtains prosperity while abiding with moon, planets, stars and celestials. I  intent on reminding all of you again. But I could not inform this matter earlier to Kumbhakarna because of his hibernation. My most powerful and very dear Kumbhakarna, the top among all the wielders of weapons, was sleeping for the past six months and now he has woken up.
        "Seetha the beloved wife of Rama was brought from the forest of Dandaka, the place frequented by rakshasas. Seetha does not like to reach my bed. I do not imagine any other woman similar to Seetha exists in the three worlds. She has a slim waist, well-developed hips, and a face similar to an autumnal moon. Looking like an idol of gold and being placid she appears like an illusory image created by Maya.
       "Seeing her feet with rose-coloured soles, smooth and evenly resting on ground with the rosy soles, my lust is  kindled manifoldly. Seeing her countenance similar to the flame of a sacrificial fire and looking like the radiance of the sun, with her prominent nose and the pretty, clear and handsome eyes, I became unrestrained, having submitted to the will of my passion. I have been polluted by lust and equally by anger and pleasure thus making me pale and I have been ever since in grief and anguish. Looking forward Rama, her husband, that longish large eyed Seetha, requested me to give time for one year. I did not have the heart to deny that request from the beautifully beautiful Seetha. I am wearied of this lust, like a horse galloping along infinitely continuously. How the vanaras or even Rama and Lakshmana can cross the unassailable ocean, completely infested as it was with sea-animals? On the other hand, a huge destruction was done to us, by a single vanara. This leads me to believe that the consequences of their acts are unpredictable. Tell me what is there in your mind, according to your own understanding. We have no fear of human beings. Nevertheless, the matter can be discussed. Earlier, together with you, I conquered the celestials in the battle with the them. Knowing the whereabouts of Seetha, Rama and Lakshmana together with Sugreeva and his force of vanaras have reached the other shore of the ocean. Let a consultation be held by you and a judicious line of action suggested, so that Seetha may not have to be handed  over to them back and Rama and Lakshmana may be killed. I do not see any probability of crossing the ocean by them even with the vanaras. Victory is surely mine without any iota of doubt."
        Hearing the lamentation of Ravana who was obsessed with lust, Kumbhakarana became angry and almost shouted "You should have contemplated thoroughly that very moment when Seetha was brought here forcibly after a single impulsive thought, from the hermitage of Rama, who was accompanied by Lakshmana, like the river Yamuna fills the depression at its source the moment it descends on earth. O, emperor! If all this act of consultation with us was done before the beginning of this action itself of bringing Seetha here, it would have been worthy of you. A king who performs king's functions with a mind duly ascertained by justice, will not repent thereafter. Actions done perversely without the use of any stratagem get spoiled, even as oblations not intent on devotion got spoiled. He who is not aware of prudence and imprudence, wants to do actions, which were to be done before, at a later stage and actions which are to be done later at a stage before. Seeing superior strength in a hasteful enemy, some look for his weak point, even as swans seek the cleavage in the Kraunca mountain. God Kartikeya (son of Lord Shiva) made a cleavage in Krauncha mountain with His javelin. (Mahabharata, Salya Parva 46-84). This act was undertaken by you without proper thinking. By good fortune, Rama did not kill you even as the meat mixed with poison would kill the consumer. O, irreproachable brother! Now, to return Seetha can be viewed as an act of cowardice. Therefore, by killing your enemies, I shall neutralize the dishonourable act undertaken by you in relation to your enemies. I shall destroy your enemies. I shall fight with the two brothers, even if they are Indra and the sun-god or the god of fire and the wind-god or Kubera and Varuna. Entering the combat with a mountain-sized body and fiery teeth, roaring the while and attacking with an immense bludgeon, I shall strike terror in Indra himself! Even before Rama strikes me once more with a second arrow, I shall drink his blood. Cheer up. I will  fetch you victory, which brings pleasure to you, by killing Rama. By exterminating Rama along with Lakshmana, I shall devour all the leaders of the vanara army. Enjoy yourself freely. Drink excellent wines to the extent of your desire without any anxiety. Rama, having been dispatched by me to the abode of death, Seetha will be at your beck and call forever."
===============================================

No comments:

Post a Comment