Monday 11 May 2015

266. Rama was lamenting about Seetha.

           That remarkable and extraordinary  army, well-protected by Neela, was kept positioned nicely at the northern shore of the ocean. Both Maina and Dvivida constantly and vigilantly moved here and there to ensure that everything was okay in that army. After the army was settled at the sea-shore, Rama who could not contain his worry and thoughts about his dear wife Seetha and hence was obliged to lament about her to  Lakshmana who, as usual was by his side. He, Rama told him "Lakshmana! It is so said that sorrow gets vanished at the passing of time. But my agony of not seeing my beloved is getting increased every day. My anguish is not so acute that my beloved is at a distance, nor that she was taken away. Her age is indeed passing away. What I need most at this moment is 'the wind!'  I very much desire that the wind that touches my beloved touch me, too. It is through  that wind I will get a feeling of contact of her limbs. It is through the moon I get a feeling of contact of her eyes. That darling when being carried away might have cried "Oh, Lord!" seeking for help. That thought is like poison gulped by me, hovering in my stomach and scorching my limbs. My body is scorching night and day, by the fire of passion, holding fuel of my separation from her and my thoughts of her flaring into shimmering flames.
       "Oh, Lakshmana! Diving deep into the sea without you, I like to fall asleep. Then this flaming passion will not thus scorch me, lying down in water of that deep sea. It is enough for me, who is passionate, that Seetha with charming thighs and me are resting on one and the same earth and on this thought I will be able to survive. Like a paddy-field without water survives by getting wet from a neighboring paddy-field under water, I also survive since I am hearing her as surviving. When shall I behold Seetha with charming hips, having long lotus-like eyes flourishing as prosperity, by conquering the enemies? When gently raising her face looking like lotus, with its beautiful teeth and lips, shall I drink as a sick man the sovereign drink of remedy? When will those breasts which are delightful, close, bulging and quivering, looking like Palmyra fruits, indeed press me? She, with dark-cornered eyes, who has fallen into the midst of rakshasas, like an orphan is surely not getting any to console her, though I am here for support. How Seetha, the daughter of the King Janaka, my darling and Dasharatha's daughter-in-law is sleeping among those rakshashis? Seetha will come out, driven away through my force the rakshasas, like black clouds by a digit of the moon, in autumn. Seetha, who by nature is slender, will undoubtedly become leaner further because of her anguish, her abstinence from food and her adverse position of time and place. When shall I bring back Seetha, having lodged arrows in Ravana's chest and having abandoned this mental agony? When indeed Seetha the virtuous lady similar to the child of a celestial, with an excited longing, will embrace my neck and release tears of joy? When shall I thrillingly abandon this terrible anguish, born out of my separation from Seetha, as we abandon soiled clothing?"
        While that sagacious Rama was lamenting thus there, the sun started to sink into the sea making the atmosphere less bright. Lakshmana consoled Rama who was overwhelmed with anguish, duly recollecting the lotus-eyed Seetha. Thereafter, Rama worshipped the evening-twilight.
====================================================

No comments:

Post a Comment