Tuesday 3 February 2015

227. Seetha is perplexed to see Hanuman.

        Seeing Hanuman, who was tawny coloured like a series of flashing thunderbolts wrapped up in a white cloth and hiding behind the branches of a tree, Seetha was puzzled, confused, baffled and bewildered. Seetha did not expect there a little vanara, beaming like a cluster of Ashoka flowers, with his eyes resembling refined gold and looking humble.
       Seetha did not know what to think, do or say. She wondered whether it was a trick of that villain Ravana. This thought made her bewildered again. Not knowing what to do she started weeping faintly and uttered continuously "O, Rama! O, Rama! O Lakshmana!".
      Seetha realised suddenly that the benign looking vanara was standing humbly just in front of her. She was not sure whether it was a reality or a dream. Seetha, looking at Hanuman, who was having a wide and curved mouth, noticed doing acts as told by Sugreeva the king of vanaras. Seeing this, Seetha lost her consciousness very much and became seemingly lifeless. Regaining her consciousness after quite some time she thought "Today, I saw an ugly creature in my dream, which is forbidden according to a body of scriptures. May it be well with Rama together with Lakshmana and with my father, King Janaka. Maybe this is not a dream. To me, tormented by sorrow and grief, there is indeed no sleep. To me, separated from Rama whose countenance resembles a full moon, there is no happiness for me.
        "Since I am pondering with my mind about that Rama only, and always saying 'Rama! Rama!' thus, conformably I am seeing and hearing a story thus corresponding to he same thoughts. Tormented as I am today by Manmatha, the god of love, longing for Rama, my whole feelings directed towards him and constantly thinking of him alone and in the like manner I am seeing him and  hearing of him alone. I am imagining that my wish is being  fulfilled. Likewise, I am reasoning my wish by my intellect also. There is no concrete form indeed for my wish. Is he, with a well manifested form  speaking to me?
      "My salutation to Brihaspati the Lord of eloquence, together with Indra the wielder of a thunderbolt, to Brahma the self-existent Lord and to the Lord of Fire eating the oblations! Let whatever words spoken by this vanara be true!"
==========================================================

1 comment:

  1. Hanuman's clever approach is great! Seetha's thought process - bewilderment and doubt - is very r ealistic!

    ReplyDelete