Wednesday 15 October 2014

200. Hanuman vanquishes Lanka.

       Hanuman, the son of Vayu, one with great might, while waiting for the night to fall, was standing on the mountain called Lamba mustering courage to enter at night the city of Lanka with beautiful forests and places of water such as lakes. The city of Lanka was shining with buildings equaling autumnal clouds. With a sound resembling that of an ocean, it was served by ocean breeze. It was filled with well fed and mighty armies like Vitapati, the capital of Kubera. It had elephants positioned at archways and had white gates and archways. 
         When it became quite dark, Hanuman slowly and cautiously approached that city of Lanka which was protected by Rakshasas, like the auspicious city of Bhogavati being protected by serpents moving about, spread with cloud illumined by flashes of lightening, served by pathways of stars, with a light breeze like the Indra's city of Amaravati, surrounded by a wall with a golden hue, decorated by flags with sounds from groups of small bells.
      With every step towards that beautiful city, Hanuman became more and more surprised. At last he reached, without being detected, the doors which were of golden color, with platforms of cat's eye gems, inlaid with diamonds, crystals and pearls, embellished with floors of gems, graced with elephants made of refined gold, crowned with spotless white silver, stairs studded with cat's eye gems, with inside walls made of crystal free from dust, provided with lovely assembly halls, with sounds of Krauncha birds and peacocks, served by royal swans, looking as though flying toward the sky, with auspicious houses resounding everywhere with the sounds of clarionets and ornaments, equaling the city of Vasvaukasaara, as though flying towards the sky.
        Seeing all these things, Hanuman could not help thinking "It is not possible for anyone to conquest this city, which is being guarded by the strong armies of Ravana, by strength alone. This land may be conquerable by Kumuda, Angada,  the great vanara Sushena, Mainda or Dvivida. Perhaps also by the son of Sun God Sugreeva, the vanara Kusaparvana, the chief among vanaras Riksha and humble me." The thought of the long armed Sri Rama's tremendous strength and Lakshmana's formidable valour, made Hanuman happy.
         That city of the king of rakshasas seemed to Hanuman like a wealthy woman decorated with diamonds for her clothes, various storage houses as earrings and amouries for her breasts. Due to the lamps that illuminated the radiant great houses, all darkness vanished. As a result the guardian of that city spotted Hanuman trying to sneak into the city. Seeing that pint-sized Hanuman, that guardian of Lanka, called Lanka (I do not know whether she was the Miss Lanka then) rose up with a horrific appearance of face and eyes. She stood in front of the little Hanuman. She made a great sound and spoke to Hanuman "O! one who lives in gardens! Who are you? Why did you come here? Get it into your pea sized head that no one including someone your size could enter into this city of Lanka without my knowledge. Tell me the truth before I kill you."
    Hanuman told her "I certainly will tell you very truthfully everything. Before that please tell me who you are? O horrible one! I have not seen anyone with such an ugly face before! Why are you stopping and threatening me?"
     Suppressing her anger with great difficulty, Miss Lanka told Hanuman "As I am invincible, I have been asked by His Majesty to protect this city. I am one of the many servitors of the king of all rakshashas Ravana, the great. I am going to kill you for humiliating me."
       The son of Vayu then told Miss Lanka "I like to see the lovely city of Lanka with its palaces, defensive walls and archways. I came here for that purpose. I am very curious to see them. My arrival here is indeed to see Lanka's wonderful gardens, parks, forests and the magnificent and important houses all over."
      Listening to Hanuman's words, Lanka  spat out more harsh than before. "You lowly Vanara! I am not giving you permission to enter this city. Enter after defeating me, if you can."
      Then Hanuman replied politely "O auspicious one! Without seeing this city I cannot return to where I came from."
        Hearing that Miss Lanka got very angry and hit Hanuman soundly. The hit was so forceful even Hanuman became dizzy. It took a few moments for him to recover his senses. He wanted to send her to her creator. But she being a woman, though unthinkably ugly, he hit her back hard but bot very, with his folded fingers of his left hand. Surprisingly that ugly rakshashi fell down with a distressed writhing body and  a horrific face. A few moments later, Miss Lanka looking at Hanuman without any malice or pride and told him "So, you must be that vanara Brahma told me about. Brahma told me that when a vanara hits me without any fear then the end of Ravana and his rakshashas would not be far off.  Get propitiated and protect me. Those with great strength and courage always stand firm on tradition. I am the city of Lanka. I am now defeated by you. With your appearance now, the time has come for me. Ordinance of Brahma is the truth and is absolute and immutable. The end is not far off for Ravana the evil minded king and to all Rakshasas. Now you may enter the city of Lanka ruled by Ravana and do whatever tasks you want to. Enter the auspicious city of Lanka stuck by the curse, ruled by the king of Rakshasas. Roam everywhere and search for the chaste wife Seetha according to your comfort."
=================================================

No comments:

Post a Comment