Thursday 16 May 2013

50. Rama informs Seetha the turn of events.

          Seetha, practising austere vows for the smooth coronation ceremony without any hitch, was absolutely ignorant about the latest development.  She was musing about the installation of Rama as the prince Regent in her heart.  As she knew thoroughly the protocol in this regard, she performed the worship of the gods in the way it should be done and was waiting for her prince charming.   Rama, looking at the floor thoughtfully, entered his own palace which was well decorated and was filled with people rejoicing all around.  Seetha sprang up from her seat and trembled to see her husband wearing a sad demeanour showing clearly that his mind was perturbed with anxiety.   After seeing her, Rama could not contain his grief any longer.  Seeing him pale-faced, perspiring and without endurance, Seetha asked him kindly with anxiety and concern "What is this now, my Darling!   I heard that the brahmanas are of the opinion that today's constellation Pushya (which is presided by the sage Brahaspati) is propitious and is very suitable (for the coronation).  You do not look cheerful.  You look very disturbed.  Why?"
         Rama looked at his consort and said with a sad smile "M'dear!  My father is sending me to forest in exile.  You have grown up in a great family.  You know perfectly well what is right and and what is virtue.  Two boons were promised to my mother Kaikeyi long ago, by my father Dasharatha who always is true to his promises.   Now that the arrangements initiated by the king for my coronation are getting ready, Kaikeyi came out with that promise of boons, turning the situation to her own advantage on the grounds of morality that I have to dwell in Dandaka forest for fourteen years.  Bharata is being appointed as the vice-regent by my father.  Before setting forth to the forest, I have come to see you.  I like you to remember and follow what I am going to tell you.  I should not be praised at any time in the presence of Bharata.  Men endowed with power and fortune indeed do not tolerate praise of others.  Therefore, my virtues should not be extolled by you in front of Bharata.  You cannot expect to be attended to in a special manner, at any time by him.  The princely kingdom is given to him by the king permanently.  Oh, Seetha ! He is fit to be rendered gracious by you, more so because he is going to be the king.  As for me, keeping up the pledge of my father, I leave for the forest today itself.  Remain courageous.  After I leave for the forest frequented by the sages, you can give yourself up to religious vows and fastings.  You can rise up at the dawn, perform worship of the deities as per the precepts and do salutation to my father, king Dasharatha.  Keeping in front the righteousness alone, you have to respect the aged Kausalya, my mother, who is getting emaciated by grief.  For me all my mothers are equal in point of fondness, love and the way in which they have looked after me (in my childhood).  Hence the rest of my mothers also deserve to be saluted always by you.  You, in particular, should regard Bharata and Satrughna, as your brothers or sons.  Bharata is indeed the king and the master for both the kingdom and for our family.  Hence, you should not do or say anything displeasing to him at any time.  Kings are pleased by one's good character and served by exerting one's self become happy with those ones.  They get angry if it is to the contrary.  Kings abandon even their own sons, if they are antagonistic and accept even other people if they are befitting.  I shall go to the great forest.  You should stay here only, without offending any one."
======================================================================================

No comments:

Post a Comment