Wednesday 10 April 2013

43. The longest night.

       I entirely agree with you that Dasharatha did not deserve such a treatment (from Kaikeyi) nor was he used to such a predicament   He was lying down on the floor, moaning.  Kaikeyi now proved her worthlessness and accomplished her desire; almost.  She was fearlessly exhibiting her fearful form, demanded for those boons again in a loud voice from Dasharatha, who was in such a bad, pitiable and  deplorable situation "Oh, king! You always boast yourself, saying 'I speak truth. I am persistent in my promise.'  Now, why are you withholding my boons standing in my credit?"
      On hearing those abominable, dirty and deplorable words from Kaikeyi, Dasharatha became terribly, awfully and mightily angry.  Due to that he  turned out delirious for a moment.  After regaining his control he replied "Oh, You vulgar one! You, my enemy! You want to be happy after your desire is fulfilled when Rama leaves for the forest and when I die thereafter..." 
      Dasharatha wass lamenting thus with his disturbed mind until dusk.  To Dasharatha, who was thus lamenting painfully, the dusk seemed to be evil dark even though it was adorned with charming circular moon.  The aged Dasharatha was lamenting painfully as though afflicted with a disease, with hot and hard breaths, having his eyes fixed on the sky cried  "Oh, auspicious night, decorated with stars!  Do not wish to break into a dawn.  Have mercy on me.  I pray with folded hands.  Otherwise, Oh, Night! Leave away quickly.  I do not want to see Kaikeyi, who is shameless, cruel and for whose reason this great calamity occurred"
      The king spoke like this and beseeched Kaikeyi with folded hands.  He again addressed Kaikeyi "Oh, auspicious queen! I am a well conducted man.  I am dejected and seeking refuge in you.  I am an old man and especially a king.  Be kind to me. Oh, well-hipped one!  I hope that whatever I told, has not merged in the sky.  Oh! young woman, be kind to me.  You are tenderhearted,  Oh, queen with dark outer corner of eyes!  Be kind.  You yourself give my kingdom to Rama.  Thus, you will obtain a great fame.  Oh, broad hipped, with beautiful face and eyes!  Do this.  It will be pleasing to me, to Rama, to the world, to  the priests and to Bharata, too."
      Hearing the king was pitifully lamenting strangely with red eyes filled with tears, that bad tempered cruel woman did not care to listen to his words.  Seeing his discontented wife was bent on sending Rama to forest, the king became highly distressed, fainted again and fell down unconscious on the floor.
      While the distressed and harrowed king was sighing terribly in this way, that night came to an end.  In the dawn, bards and singers started to awaken him.  But the king sent them away by the wave of his hand.
==============================================================

No comments:

Post a Comment